Valentines just won't be the same this year without those delicious little chalky candies with messages on them. Necco announced one of their most popular candies won't be on store shelves this Valentine's Day. The New England Confectionary Co.—or Necco—had been making the popular candies since 1886. But the company filed for bankruptcy protection last spring. Ohio-based Spangler Candy Co. bought Necco in May. But Spangler said Thursday that it didn't have time to bring Sweethearts to market this Valentine's season.
CEO Kirk Vashaw said Spangler wants to make sure Sweethearts "meet customer expectations" when they return to market. He didn't say what changes are in the works or when they'll go back on sale. Competitors like Brach's are still making conversation hearts. But online retailer CandyStore.com says Sweethearts were by far the most popular brand, commanding 80% of the US market for candy hearts.
Personally unless my relationship status changes before Valentines Day, I'll just be going in for the chocolate when it goes on sale February 15th anyway ;)