It kind of goes without saying that once you become royalty you have to give certain things up in exchange for others. And after examining the list, it still seems worth it. There are some odd ones thrown in here, and believe me, they ARE real. And others are completely understandable.
Lets take a look:
1. NO MORE POSTING SELFIES: Apparently, the Queen herself is not a fan of selfies and looks down on the whole idea. I can totally see that.
2. VOTE IN BRITISH ELECTIONS: The UK Parliament website states that, although it’s not against the law in Britain for royalty to vote, it is believed to be unconstitutional. Markle, who will not become a British citizen for a number of years, will also not be allowed to speak out on politics or social issues.
3. GO SHOPPING OR GO OUT IN GENERAL, ALONE: Meghan will be surrounded by an all female security team while in public.
4. WEAR BOLD COLORED NAIL POLISH: The queen is at it again with this one. Apparently, the Queen is very picky about nail polish and prefers more delicate tones and translucent shades. It would seem that shes's known about this for a while now, as Markle has been wearing neutral shades since Harry proposed.
5. HAVE HER OWN SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS: Several months before the royal wedding, Markle closed all of her own social media accounts. Markle, who was once very active on social media, had started to scale back her social media presence soon after her relationship with Harry became serious.
6. GO TO BED BEFORE THE QUEEN: This is one that's more customary, than something that would be strictly enforced. It's more about when Markle and the Queen are staying in the same place, she will have to wait until the Queen goes to bed before she can go to sleep. It is “thought to be bad form otherwise.”
7. SIGN AUTOGRAPHS: Markle will not be able to sign autographs because it runs the risk of her signature getting forged.
8. CONTINUE HER ACTING CAREER: Meghan Markle, having starred in Suits for seven seasons, announced last November in an interview with Hello! Canada that she is foregoing her career saying, “I just see it as a change…It’s a new chapter, right?”
9. NO MORE SITTING CROSS LEGGED: Ladies are to sit with the ankles crossed or knees together, rather than cross legged. This is known as the Duchess Slant.
10. SHOW BARE LEGS: According to one Royal expert, “the only hard, steadfast rule in terms of what the Queen requires.” is no exposing bare legs. Back in November during Harry and Markle’s engagement photo shoot–Markle was said to not be in the royal dress code.
11. NO WEARING SHORT HEMLINES: Again with the dress code, short dresses, short shorts and anything considered revealing are now banned for Markle. It would seem this was told to her early on, as she has been dressing much more conservatively ever since her engagement to Harry.