Let's hope this isn't the same for the Twin Cities, but a recent survey from underwear maker Tommy John that revealed that 45 percent of Americans say they've worn the same pair of underwear two days in a row or longer.
Naturally, men being the more disgusting species, are 2.5 times more likely to wear their underwear for a WEEK! or longer.
Maybe the more surprising finding was that only 46 percent of those surveyed owned a piece of underwear for more than a year.
"These results were split fairly evenly between men and women, which throws any theories out the window that women are more hygiene-conscious than men, or vice versa," Tommy John said.
Tommy John recommends the following steps to keep in mind when washing underwear:
- Tumble dry your underwear on low heat for 30 minutes after washing.
- This will minimize the amount of bacteria your underwear gathers after a wash. You can also iron if that’s more your speed!
- Don’t mix your underwear in the same load with your significant other or children if they’re sick. Doing so only increases the amount of bacteria hanging out in your washing machine.
- Avoid washing contaminated underwear with other pairs and clothing. This is especially important for those who have bacterial infections.
- Wash your underwear separately from clothing containing other bodily fluids. If any article of clothing is stained, it’s better to wash it separately from your underwear.