An article originally published in a 1958 issue of McCall's has some pretty bizarre tips on how to land a guy. While most are ridiculous, I actually agree with some of them.
Read my favorites below, and check out the FULL list here.
Here's where to meet him:
- Get a dog and walk it.
- Have your car break down at strategic places.
- Look in the census reports for places with the most single men. Nevada has 125 males for every 100 females.
- Read the obituaries to find eligible widowers.
- Take several short vacations at different places rather than one long one at one place.
- Be friendly to ugly men.
- Get lost at football games.
- Don't take a job in a company run largely by women. (Ugh.)
- Change apartments from time to time.
Here's how to make him notice you:
- Stumble when you walk into a room that he's in.
- Wear a Band-Aid. People always ask what happened.
- Make a lot of money.
- Walk up to him and tell him you need some advice.
- If you're at a resort have the bellboy page you.
- Buy a convertible. Men like to ride in them.
- Learn how to bake tasty apple pies. Bring one in to the office and let the eligible bachelors taste it.
- If there's a wallflower among the men you know, why not cultivate him? For all you know, he may be a diamond in the rough.
- "Accidentally" have your purse fly open, scattering its contents all over the street.
Here's how to look good to him:
- Men like to think they're the authorities on perfume. Ask his advice on what kind you should wear.
- Practice your drinking with your women friends first.
- If you dye your hair, pick a shade and stick to it.
- If you look good in sweaters, wear one on every third date.
- When you are with him, order your steak rare.
- European women use their eyes to good advantage. Practice in front of a mirror.
Here's how to land him:
- Don't let your parents treat him like a potential husband.
- Ask your parents to disappear when you're entertaining.
- Send his mother a birthday card.
- Ask his mother for her recipes.
- On the first date tell him you aren't thinking of getting married!
- Don't talk about how many children you want.
- Never let him know he's the only one, even if you have to stay home one or two nights a week!
- Find out about the girls he hasn't married. Don't repeat the mistakes they made.
- Resist the urge to make him over - before marriage, that is!
- Learn where to draw the line - but do it gracefully.
- If he's rich, tell him you like his money - the honesty will intrigue him!
- Never let him believe your career is more important to you than marriage.
- Don't tell dirty stories.
- Stop being a mama's girl - don't let him think he'll have in-law trouble, even if you know he will!
- Point out to him that the death rate of single men is twice that of married men.
Here are some wild ideas, where anything goes:
- Get a hunting license.
- If your mother is fat, tell him you take after your father. If he's fat too, tell him you're adopted!
- Stow away on a battleship.
- Rent a billboard and post your picture and telephone number on it.
- Paint your name and number on the roof and say, "Give me a buzz, pilots."
- Start a whispering campaign on how sought-after you are.
- Make and sell toupees - bald men are easy catches!
Again, see the full list here.