"Super-Fit" 25 Year Old Dies After Drinking Too Many Protein Shakes

A heartbroken mother has called for tighter regulations on supplements after her fitness fanatic daughter tragically died from drinking too many protein shakes.  

Meegan Hefford, 25, was found unconscious in her Mandurah, West Australia apartment on June 19, 2017. 

The mom-of-two had been training for a bodybuilding competition and was following a diet made up of high-protein foods as well as supplements and shakes. 

Meegan, however, was unaware she had a rare genetic disposition which made it difficult for her body to break down protein. 

She died in hospital three days later after being diagnosed with urea cycle disorder, which causes a build-up of ammonia in the bloodstream and in brain fluid that ultimately left her brain dead. 

Her death certificate listed urea cycle disorder and the 'intake of bodybuilding supplements' as two causes of death. 

Two years on, Meegan's mum Michelle White has called for harsher regulations while warning gym fanatics to check with their doctors before taking on extreme diets.    

'We had no idea her obsession with health would end up killing her,' Ms White told The Mirror.

'Only certified nutritionists should offer advice on dieting, and I urge people to get medical checks before drastically changing their food intake.'

For the full story click here

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content