A reddit user by the name of djchurch55125 posted a surveillance video of a dog from a family in Woodbury being attached by an "urban coyote", despite the yard being fenced in.
According to the state of Minnesota, here are some "do's" and "don'ts" for if you find a coyote in your yard:
- secure all garbage containers, wildlife feeders, and other food sources to prevent coyote access
- confine small dogs and cats in kennels, or supervise them when outside
- vaccinate all pets for rabies, distemper, parvo, and other diseases, as recommended by a veterinarian
- consider installing coyote-proof fencing
- harass (by chasing, shouting, etc.) any coyotes that do not immediately run from people
- donotfeed coyotes
- do not leave pet food outside
- do not allow cats and small dogs outside, unattended
See the video here: “Urban Coyote” problem in Woodbury. Watch a coyote completely sneak up on our dog and take a snap at him in a fenced in backyard.